Sunday, February 7, 2010

Kaiser Half

1:52:18
One of my rules to myself about this blog is to stay positive.  This will be a short entry today.  I finished faster than my last race by 7 minutes (so technically a new PR).  My legs feel pretty good.  It was cool to see my wife and daughters on the sideline.  That's about it.

Now to break my rule--I'm pretty disappointed in how things went today.  My goal was 1:45, and three weeks ago I was on pace for 1:40.  I think the biggest reason for missing the mark so badly was being sick last week.  One day of more food going out than in, and three days of fever.  So even after that was over, my eating hadn't really come back to normal.  So I just didn't have the right nutrition the week before the race.  Also, between the sickness, a pair of girls waking up in the middle of the night, and who knows what else...I didn't have a good nights sleep the entire week.

I was worried early on when my heart rate spike to 170 right off the bat--I'm sure to adrenaline.  But it never really calmed down (my average for the entire race was 171).  Normally, I can run at 150 or 160 for the first hour plus, then pull out he 170-180 near the end when I need it.  But since it was so high the whole time I was just tired and had nothing extra to give.  Also, it usually takes me 20-30 minutes to get in the zone; then the middle half is really good; finally near the end I have to concentrate again to keep focused.  That middle zone was much shorter today, so again, it was a lot more discomfort and work.  By around mile 9 I was ready to be done.

I did a very good job on distance and speed training, and an okay job on hill training.  But something that had never really occurred to me was training with an elevated HR.  So that's something I need to work on.


My next Half isn't until the end of October, so I've got a long time to stew on this before I can redeem myself.


Tomorrow is a rest day.  Tuesday, starts the Triathlon training in earnest.

No comments:

Post a Comment